Poppy at Bunny Kitchens has allowed me to share this great recipe. Check out her site at http://bunnykitchen.com/
- 500 ml/2 cups soya milk (for the best results use a thick, rich milk or creamer)
- 3 tsp agar powder*
- 1 tsp white vinegar
- 2 tsp coarse salt (or 1 tsp fine salt)
- 40g/4 tbsp tapioca starch
- 1 tsp paprika (used smoked for a smoky cheese)
- 15g/1/4 cup nutritional yeast flakes
- 1/4 tsp turmeric (optional, for colour)
- 1 capsule of vegan probiotic, emptied (optional)
*3 tbsp agar flakes can be used, boil mixture gently for 15 minutes after adding the flakes, vinegar and salt before adding the remaining ingredients. Carrageenan can also be used (3 tsp powder) and is often sold as ‘vege-gel’ or ‘vege-set’, the cheese will not be as firm as when set with agar but it behaves the same and after a little time in the freezer, grates perfectly.
- Bring the soya milk to a boil over a medium heat.
- Once boiling, remove from the heat and whisk in the the agar powder (or agar flakes or carrageenan), vinegar and salt.
- Mix the tapioca starch in a cup with a few tablespoons of the hot soya milk and set aside.
- Bring the soya milk mixture to a boil again, then whisk in the rest of the ingredients, including the tapioca mixture.
- Cook for 10 or so minutes, make sure it comes to a boil at least once, then remove from heat and stir in the probiotic of using then pour into a container to set.
- Leave to harden in the fridge or freezer to make it easier to grate.